August 3, 2010

blueberry-okara muffins

Update: I've since come up with a newer okara blueberry muffin recipe that I think is much better than this one. Check it out!

Half a pound of okara and a dash of corn meal -- these muffins are a pretty good complement to the rest of your breakfast. My favorite blueberry muffin recipe is still the one in Vegan With a Vengeance (I even aped the inclusion of corn meal in my own recipe), but when I have a pile of okara to use up, this will do fine.

blueberry-okara muffins

In a small bowl, combine
1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup corn meal (finely ground)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt


In a larger bowl, combine
8 oz. okara
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy milk
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla

and stir thoroughly.

blueberry-okara muffins

Add most of the flour mixture from the first bowl, reserving about 1/4 cup. Combine the flour mixture with the wet ingredients.

Put
1 cup blueberries
into the first bowl with the reserved flour mixture and combine until the berries are coated in flour.

Note: I like to use frozen wild blueberries, which are smaller than most blueberries sold in grocery stores and thus ideal for muffins. I buy mine from Trader Joe's.

blueberry-okara muffins

Put the flour-coated blueberries and the rest of the flour mixture into the bowl with the rest of the wet ingredients. Combine until just mixed.

Fill the cups of a lightly oiled 12-muffin tin with the batter. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.

blueberry-okara muffins

6 comments:

  1. I live in Japan and buy my okara at the store, so it's not as wet as if it were homemade. I've found that tripling the liquid (for this one, 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup water) helped. How much liquid is usually with your homemade okara?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... I needed to do the same thing, and I make my own okara. Maybe I am better at squeezing out the soy milk so mine is much drier too.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I'm not sure how to measure how much liquid is in my homemade okara. Where I live, you can't find okara in a store, so I don't even know how my okara would compare to typical store-bought okara. Would posting a photograph help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these last night. Subbed almond meal for corn meal. Turned out delicious. Hard to not eat them all. Also did half whole wheat flour and half all purpose.

    ReplyDelete