October 30, 2011

okara pumpkin muffins

pumpkin okara muffins

In a bowl, thoroughly combine
1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup soy flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. salt


NB: I'm sure you could substitute regular flour for the soy flour. The reason I threw it in is because I have a big bag of it that I'm trying to get rid of!

In a separate bowl, combine
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup okara
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup soymilk
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tablespoons molasses

and whisk vigorously until well combined.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Fold in
1 cup chopped walnuts

Distribute batter evenly between the wells of a lightly oiled 12-muffin pan, filling the wells completely (there's a lot of batter!). Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from tins.

pumpkin okara muffins

Verdict: These are great! There is way too much maple syrup though. Next time, I'll try making it with 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup, rather than with 1/4 cup.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Anna, I just got introduced to Okara and while looking for recipes found this one! I am so excited to try this!

    I was also wondering how you make your own soymilk? Would love to try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume that you are buying your okara at a store, which is interesting to me because where I live you can't buy okara anywhere. The only reason I have access to it is because it is a byproduct of making soymilk, so every time I make soymilk I have a huge pile of okara.

    I use a soymilk machine like this one to make my own soymilk. You don't need a soymilk machine though -- you can make it on the stovetop and in a blender. This webpage has some good information:
    http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/638376.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this recipe! I used the 2 TBSP of maple syrup you suggested and that was perfect. The muffins are very moist. Since pumpkin is not local to Japan (I had a can from the import store), I'm hoping to try it again with kabocha squash. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad it worked with less maple syrup -- and it should be interesting to try with other squashes.

    ReplyDelete