December 4, 2013

single-serving peanut-butter brownies

So it's been awhile. That's because I've been trying (and succeeding!) to cut down on my sugar intake. And, unfortunately, most of my okara creations have been baked goods. However, with an investment in some 8-ounce ramekins, I have looked into the possibility of creating single-serving desserts, so that I can have something nice but not keep eating it day after day.

I actually initially sought to come up with a microwave brownie, but all my attempts were gooey and awful. So instead I've been baking these in a toaster oven. Microwave recipes are so imprecise, anyway; the toaster oven is the way to go.

okara brownies

In a small bowl or cup, whisk together
2 Tablespoons unsalted peanut butter
1 Tablespoon maple syrup

until mixture is smooth. Set aside.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together
1/4 cup sugar
1 oz. okara
1 oz. semi-sweet chocolate

2 Tablespoon Earth Balance or canola oil
and microwave until chocolate is melted. (On my ancient microwave, this was accomplished by nuking for one minute at 60% power. Your mileage may vary.) Whisk ingredients until mixture is smooth and all chocolate is incorporated. Then add
1 Tablespoon almond milk or soy milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
and whisk together until smooth.

Into the chocolate mixture, thoroughly mix
1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt


When mixture is thoroughly incorporated, divide batter evenly into two 8-ounce (1 cup) lightly oiled ramekins. Then drop a dollop of the peanut butter mixture on top of the chocolate batter.

okara brownies

Using a knife, cut through the peanut butter and chocolate batter to create a "swirl" effect.

okara brownies

Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 27 minutes. Allow to cool. I wasn't able to get these out in one piece (though I came close), so this might be something you want to eat directly from the ramekin.

No comments:

Post a Comment